Monday, June 11, 2012

Hiking in Connecticut

So some of you might remember my furrend Haley from Connecticut.  Sometimes we hike togedder and this was one of those times.
Haley arrived at the meeting place.  We left her car there and both got in my car...
... and drived to the udder end of the Appalachian Trail in Connecticut so we could hike back to Haley's car.
The furst thing we had to do after parking my car is go ofur one of those stiles just like in Furginia.  I went right over.  Sorta.  Well, I couldn't let Haley show me up, could I?
No cows in this meadow.  Just me and Haley.  And our moms.
Here be the first seenik we commed to.
Then we seened an American Toad.  Mom did not let me in the picture with him coz the toad be camooflodged and too hard fur mom to see in the camera.
Some refreshing fur cooling waters.
A seenik at Caleb's Peak.
We taked a break at Caleb's Peak.
Then we seened a snek.  But not at our break, later.  He be a harmless garter snek.
Some more seeniks afore going....
... down....
... down, furry steeply down.  I had to help Haley's mom.
Then at the bottom, OMD, that dude do be climbing UP the slickery rawk, not the way we commed down.  You can see him teeny tiny up top.
There was more peeples in the woods getting reddy to climb up those rawks.  Insanity, I tell you!  No way is you getting me up there!
After the big death defying climb down, we was on the easy peasy road fur a while getting our strut on.
The road taked us to a flat trail along the Housatonic River.  They say that river be furry pawluted so I was not allowed to go in.
Then Haley got tired and tried to take a nap on the trail.  Her mom be sitting by her.  But that was only until my mom sayed the magic werds...
"Who wants some CHICKEN JERKY?????"  Haley made a miraculous recovery and RAN to mom fur chicken jerky.  Those is werds you don't has to say twice around us!
Hey!  Did somebuddy lose a shoe?
Haley be all revived.  I highly recommend chicken jerky fur medicinal pawposes.
Then we found Haley's car and her mom drived us back to our car and we went home.
So did you by chance notice that in some pictures I was wearing THE SHAWNEE CAM 3?  Yup, they do not make them any more but mom found a place on that Amazon and they was still selling them so she got me anudder one.  The pictures was not so good but here is few.

Trees
My tong and the hairs on my chinny chin chin.
Haley's mom.

19 comments:

Pandafur said...

I duz miss Noo England, thanks you fur sharing thoze bewtyful pikshures. That looks like so much fun with Haley an I wish I cud find a snake too! *purrr*

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

Shawnee!!! You have your very much OWN Flashy Beast??? Did Haley's mom try to look away and not do what you wanted when you tried to take her pitcher???

THAT TOAD pic is AMAZING... your mom's camera did a terrrrific job!

I am glad that you and Haley had a grrreat hike... and chic. Jerky too.

Anna the GSD said...

Whoo hoo!! Long live Shanwee Cam 3!! Well, we'll see how long it lives, but we'll enjoy it while we have it!!

Okay, if you has to wear a helmet in order to do an activity, no, we're out. Why wear a helmet and climb up a giant rock when there are these nice trails!?!? Duh! Maybe they didn't know about the trails??

lifewithmydogs said...

You were so very brave to go over those stiles. They're scary stuff.
Good to see you had a good time, you always seem to on those hikes of yours! Shame Haley got so tired near the end, though (but at least she scored some jerky!)

rottrover said...

Oh Shawnee! Another fabulous hike! It is SO green! California is starting to turn brown - or we should say "Golden". HA it's brown!! We like that artsy-fatrsy picture you took of Haley's mom!

-Bart and Ruby

Mariodacat said...

Oh sweetie it's so nice that both you and your mom have a friend to hike with now and then. Makes it a little more fun for both of you.

harrispen said...

I love reading about your hiking adventures. It must be fun to get to share them with a friend too.

Cindy

Sarge said...

Hey Shawnee!
Wow, that was a great hike to share with a furiend! That toadie and snakie are totally pawesome! I love those critters and they make my peeps smile too. Love the Shawnee cam...little shepherd chin whiskers! BOL
Grr and Woof,
Sarge, COP

♥♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥♥ said...

We bet it was a lot of fun for both you and Mom to hike with good friends. Phantom and Mom lived in CT for about nine years. If we were still there, wouldn't it be fun to meet you for a hike? But mom says you would have to go on some very flat trails for her:)


Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

Busy Buttons said...

That's so cool that you got to hike with Haley again!

I think you should make a map of the Appalachian Trail and mark all of the spots on it that you've walked. I bet you've covered a lot of it!

Mr. Pip said...

Wow, a toad and a snake all in one hike! That makes me sad about the polluted river ...

Your pal, Pip

houndstooth said...

A new Shawnee cam?! Woo hoo! That is awesome news!

Your hike looks fantastic! I was hoping for cooler weather this weekend, but the weather man is predicting lots of heat again. Serious bummer!

Bunny

marley said...

Lovely pics my chum. We haz been tryin duck jerky this week and can also repawt that it is good for enrgee too and can get dogs up and runnin about...

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Howdy Shawnee, what a great hike with your friends. We love all the scenics, your little toady friend and you two sitting on the ruggie in the back of the car. Looks like you were in a nest! We really love your photos especially your chinny chin chin hehehe. Take care sweetie. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

Frank The Tank said...

Hi Shawnee, Oh Bow WOW your hikes are always wonderful, you would love to live by me, we have loads of good hikeing areas! I love "The shawnee cam" thats fun!
I bet you had such a good time, it looks like you had so much fun with your furiend Haley from Connecticut!
You have so many critters to see on your walks, toads and "sneks" and things! I love to read your adventures! I love your little Shawnee shaped world! I have lots of animal furiends on my adventures too, Frogs, ducks, other dawgs, lots of different critters to meet!
I love the first photo of you by the signs! You are just sooooo gorgeous! Mum keeps on cooing over you, she wants to get me a brother or sister just like you one day!!!
Love, Licks and Hugs with Tummy Rubs from your furiend Frank xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sagechronicles said...

You'd think someone would make a 'Shawnee' cam that worked better, but I'm glad you found one. Your tongue was perfecto! And your Mom's pic of the toad was amazing!!

And, you know, climbing up those slickery rawks is something left to the crazies, don'tcha think?

Two Doodles and a Dane said...

We love da Shawnee Cam and the hairs on your chinny chin chin! :)

As ALWAYS we would love to go on a walkies with you, shame you live in another country! :(

Have a great weekend!

Slobbers

P.s sorry we are SO behind on catching up with your blogs, live has a habit of getting in your way! :(

Merlin Wylt said...

Mommy says, "Cookie?" when I tell her I'm too tired to continue. We can be suckers sometimes...

Yeah! New Shawnee Cam!

Roo said...

Chicken jerky is sooooo nommers! Yes, very good to have in the ol' first aid kit ;)

Beautiful hike! And yeah, crazy peeps scalin that slippery rock face! :O Glad y'all had more sense and went down it :) Very good of you to help your Mom's friend down the hill Shawnee :) Glad y'all had a chance to hike with your friends! Fun! :D

Waggin at ya,
Roo