Friday, October 4, 2013

Leaf Peeping

Yes, furrends, I went leaf PEEping in the Catskill mountains in Noo York yesterday!
My view from my pawsition as back seat passenger.  Hello Catskill mountains!
Now furstly, you mite be wonnering how I can hike in the mountains with that mean old Arthur Itis?  Well, if'n you rememmer, last time I was getting my second Adequan needle.  Mom's furrend, Alex, the V-E-T tech, gibbed it to me.  They catched me totally off my guard, let me tells you!  Mom pulled into the A&P.  Why is I at the grocery store?  Anudder car pulls up and it be Alex, the V-E-T tech.  Mom and Alex do yak, yak, yak fur a bit in the pawking lot then mom opens up the back seat door by my head, gets in with me and puts me in a death grip headlock.  They calls it a "hug", yeah right. The door by my BUTT opens up and I know it be Alex back there...  When mom let me go I turned and looked at Alex like "Wot you doing back there?"  Mom and Alex was laffing coz Alex done stucked me with the needle and I never felt it!  Alex rawks!  So we is not supposed to be seeing any improvements yet from only 2 needles but I tells you, I be feeling GOOD so off the Catskills we went!  (Mom wanted to wait until next week until I had gotten 2 more needles butt the weather peeps sayed all rain next week.  Of course now that we has gone and is back, the weather peeps changed their minds.  Sigh.) 
OK, so follow me.  Off we goes.
Oh, but furst mom had to sign us in at the trail register like so:  "1 peep + 1 dog"
Now follows along with me.
Do not furget to stop and sniff pee-mail fur all the mountain gossip.
The waters be furry low right now with no rains so only enuff to get my paws wet.
Now we has to start climbing.  Oh and even tho we be the only ones on the mountain, I is wearing extra no-huntin-me orange coz it do be huntin' season here.
Here do be some little falling waters but I betcha when it rains, it be a raging torrent of mighty falling waters!
Look who I runned into!
It do be getting more colorful up higher on the mountain.
Mom is being pokey again and I has to wait on her.
Yay!  I has reached 3500 foots.
Just a little bit higher to ...
Seeniks!  I is atop Balsam Mountain, one of the highest mountains in the Catskills!
Pawsome colors down there!
The pawfect place fur my chickun jerky snack.
And a break.
We continued onward and commed to an intersection where we stopped fur a minit to pawnder if'n we should complete the loop back to our car or if'n I could go on a bit more to the next mountain.  While contemplating, mom started to STRIP!  Yes, rite there on the trail.  I was so skeered she was becoming the Easy Lady of Blogville when I saw she was just changing clothes from pants into skeery white leg shorts.  Whew.  This could has been quite embarrassing fur me.  Anywoo, we decided I could forge on to the next mountain.
Almost there and my back legs was hasing a hard time climbing but mom boosted me up and it was OK.
Continuing onward...
to the summit of Bellayre Mountain.  No seeniks here butt...
If'n we continued on a soft, grassy woods road, we would come to ...
Seeniks at a ski place!  We thought it would not be furry far but it was more far than we guessed so it made the hike longer than mom wanted fur me.
Furst ofur to the Sunset Lodge fur a break.  I is sure they does not allow dogs there on the deck, but they was closed!  There was no NO DOGS ALLOWED sign but there was a NO SMOKING sign and seeing as I do not smoke, all was good.
Enjoying my chickun jerky break.
Sweet!
Then we went across the way to the ski slopes fur seeniks.
The seenik from wayyyyyy down below biggified.  Great leaf peeping here!
Time to head back now.  We had a dog checking in at the B&B in the night time so we could not linger too long.
On the way back I seened this chip monkey.  He do be hauling his winter stash back to his hidey hole.
Heading down off the mountains and what do be at the bottom?
Enuff waters fur fur wetting.  Just before the end when I has to get in the car.  This will ensure I stay nice and wet and cool all the way home!
Pawsome day of hiking.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
So I was limping pritty badly at the end of the hike but this morning I was running around like a young pup again so all is well and mom can stop feeling bad that the hike turned out to be so long.  9 miles, yikes, and I did not think I could do that much any mores.

14 comments:

  1. So very pretty! We don't see the leaves changing colors down our way.

    Monty and Harlow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Shawnee how I has missed you to bits and pieces!
    Those leafs turning be so exquite and all purties and stuffs. What a luverly place fur a freakin' loooong hike. But girl I has to hand it to you...you amaze me dat you stills can do all dat...it make my heart feels good cuz I knows ya'll loves it so.
    I wished you haded told Kermit hellos from me...maybe next time.

    Puddles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shawnee I must say a 9 mile hike wif arthritis is very impressive. I can't do that much i would be too tired.

    woof - Tucker

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very pretty, and 9 miles is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those leaves! Those colors! Those seeniks! Wowee wow!

    That is so great that you did so well and bounced back the very next morning! (You could've faked your mom out for extra treats and sympathy. That would have worked for the lady here. She's such a chump.) Your mom stripped, mol! It's amazing how there aren't any people there at all. I hope you guys are safe on these hikes.

    Thanks for not outing me on our "transition". We'll tell but no reason for everyone to think we're crazier than they already think.

    Great hike, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww sweetie, it's so good to see you out hiking again. I know mom must be happy too cuz you are quite the team! I'm so happy this new shot is kicking old Art ritis right out the door, and I hope he stays away for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH what a beautious hike you had my friend. I sure wish I could be there to take a hike with you guys cause you always go to such wonderful places.
    I am so glad that you are feeling up to it too......you are my inspiration.
    Love
    Bert

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shawnee - We wuz glad to see you back bein' the grate hikin' pawtner! We laffed at yur fur wettin' sneakiness BOL . The leaf peepin' pikshurs wur just pawsome - yur the best at findin' seeniks! We miss all that colrful beauty since we moved from PA to SoCal; no leaf changin' here and it makes Mom homesick. hope those shots help kick Arthur to the curb!
    Lexi da Shih Tzu

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That Adequan sure sounds like a miracle drug. Mommy says she is going to ask my vet about it at the next visit (the internet says it isn't so great for back issues as it is for joints tho). Your Mommy might want to get you a Ruffwear Web Master harness for your hikes now to make it easier to help you over and down from the big rocks. I love mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That medicine sounds like some powerful stuff! I'm glad it allows you to keep enjoying your hikes. Our weekend was pretty yucky weather wise, but we're hoping to be able to do some leaf peeping of our own next weekend! Our leaves aren't quite that colorful here yet, either.

    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Shawnee. What beautiful leaves to go peeping at . Ours are only just starting to change colour here and they never get as good as that.
    It was a real sneaky trick that V.E.T.played on you but so glad you can do long hikes and still run round like a puppy dog the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Howdy Shawnee, thanks for the hike sweetie pie. We LOVED the autumn colours. They were just wonderful. Sorry you had to see your mum's bare, white legs. Same as our mums but hers are hairy too after a winter in trousers hehehe.
    Hey, Shawnee, our mum and dad went on a holiday and they filled in a seal diary at some rocks. Mum says it was cool. Alas, no seals to see that day though :-(
    Sorry you got the needle but we're glad it helps you. Jeez your mum and Alex are sneaky rascals.
    Is Orange the special colour doggies and peeps wear so they don't get hunted? No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

    ReplyDelete
  13. Iz bootiful where yoo live my old pal....but not as bootiful as yoo of corse....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the changing of the leafs!

    Stop on by for a visit
    Kari
    http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

    ReplyDelete

Sorry fur hasing to turn on the word verification thingy but I has been getting spammed big time here lately.