Monday, January 16, 2012

Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday Hike

We celebrated Martin Luther King's birfday by doing anudder hike since it be a howliday from werk fur mom.  We hiked 10.25 miles today.
Fur fun times birfday celebrashuns the National Park peeples did gib FREE admittances today.  Click here fur udder free days if'n you missed this one.
Thank you park peeples fur letting us in fur FREE!
It woz anudder coldie, coldie day, like 15 degrees in the morning.  It did warm up to 32 but not until the end of our hike.  So we bundled up and off we went.
Who leaked snow into Noo Joisey?  There isn't any at my house.
The pond be frozened.  Brrrrrr.
In the winter we has seeniks when the trees is nekkid.
I wonner if'n Irene or Snowtober did this.
We went to check out the old soldier huts from the Revolution-Airy War.
I think this one mite leak in the snow and rains but it would be nice fur letting sunbeams in.
Dussn't look furry comfy in here.
No, this one do not be comfy either.
We went on a trail by the creek but it woz too cold to get my furs wet.
See, I use the bridges today.
So when we furst got to the park mom stopped at the visitor center and left me in the car to ummm, check out the facilities.  Mom noted there woz a back door to the outside, that you did not has to go inside the visitor center to get to the powdah room.  So when we hiked by the visitor center, mom had to go in AGAIN.  (And to think I can hold it fur a whole hike.)  Anyways, it woz way too cold to leave me outside and our car woz not there this time sooooo, mom snucked me in the BACK DOOR!
Nobuddy else in here.  Pawsome.
A stand rite here and be furry quiet so nobuddy sees me.
WHAAAAAA!  OMD, it flushed all on it's own!  It do be a pawsessed potty!
Potty mishun accomplished undetected so we moved on to Wicks Farm:
This be Wick Farm where the farmer and his fambly lived when the soldiers came to stay here - all 10,000 soldiers!  Well, they stayed in the huts but they cut down the farmer's trees to make those snazzy huts with.
Mom wanted me to gib her a tour of the veggie garden.  BLECH.
Now this floats my water bowl! Drool.
I just like this pikshure.
Anudder icy cold creek wot I cannot go into.
Please sunbeams, make the water warm.
This be a road that the soldiers builded like ofur 200 years ago.
It goes to a seenik where the soldiers could watch fur enemies so they didn't get the bitey put on them.
OK, well that woz about it.  Just had my dinner and going down fur a nap.  Bye.

24 comments:

  1. Wowsers...how exciting to see those wittle huts. And Irene didn't blow dem down! Dey must be purrty strong. Everyting else just looks so.....cold! BRRRRR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bbbuuuurrrrrrr again, Shawnee!! Butt thanks fur takin' us along. It's so pretty and so different from where we live!!

    -Bart and Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  3. We too like that picture,Shawnee - you look pawsitively gorgeous there. We must say we are glad we weren't soldiers living in those huts - they sure don't look very comfy.

    We are very glad you used the bridge, that water must have been very cold.

    So where will we all be going next hike? Virtually for us, of course.

    Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was about that when we went fur our furst walk this morning - but warmed to 25 by the time we got home -

    Then the afternoon session was 37 - Mom almost broke into a sweat ;-)

    Thanks fur sharing your furry pawesome MLKJr Hike!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a furry nice hike, Shawnee, even if it was cooooold. I should have been there to work on my ice-breaking capabilities. I did think your stance on that 3-plank bridge was pawsome. You could have been the forward guard for those revolutionary soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice way to celebrate the holiday. I could almost feel the chill in those pictures. I feel badly about those big old broken trees. I just hate to see trees fall!

    Your pal, Pip

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sure do explore EVERYTHING

    Stop on by for a visit
    Kari
    http://dogisgodinreverse.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aren't you glad you don't have to stay in those cabins? At least you got to be warm in the restroom.

    I gotta say I drooled too about that smokehouse. Yum! Yes! I love that shot of you! Beautiful!

    I bet you're all tucked into your hidey now nice and warm.

    Big Purrs,
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am absolutely green with envy! After Dad promised us a hike, he welched on us and we never got to go! I am completely living vicariously through you today, Shawnee, although I'm glad I don't have to live in those soldier huts!

    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shawnee
    I can't believe 10,000 soldiers stayed at that houseballs. Wowzer but I bet they had the best bbq pawtee ever.

    Momma had to work today so no fun for me..You are lucky
    norwood

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great way to spend such an important holiday. Great picture Shawnee!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heeeheee......you were da Stealth Shawnee again.....butt this time in da bathroom!!

    .....and i was trying to calcalate how many squirrels your mom could serve at da Chez Shawnee rodent restaurant if her had a vegetable garden that size! Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that hike.... but I think that toilet is too spooky... flushing on its own.?? What's that about?

    Anyway, thanks for the hike Shawnee. I think I would have been a good hiker if given the opportunity. I do love looking at the scenery.

    pawhugs to you pal... Max

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shawnee you and your mom are very much impervious to the weathers stuff. I would have been SCREAMING at my mom to Leave me in the Warm Potty until she came back.. IF she ever did walk that far.
    I loved the soldier cabins. I hope you take us back there in the WARM weather so we can see the garden and stuffs. .. AND SMELL the Smoking Meats!!! OH YEAH!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Shawnee, that was better than working for sure. We love all your photos but the ones of the trees all without leaves amaze us. Even in winter heaps of our trees keep their leaves and we never see scenery like this.

    The smoke house sounds wonderful. Hey what a funny toilet. Maybe it was offering you a drink? Euwwwww. Thanks for taking us along on your hike. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

    ReplyDelete
  16. A little house just for meat?! *drooools*

    ReplyDelete
  17. You got snow in Noo Joisey, wow. It's cold here in Wales with frosty places but no snow yet.
    Great hike glad I don't live in those huts, but I wouldn't mind the meat hut....
    Keep on hikin Finn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another good hike! You were lucky your mom had the day off. Mommy doesn't usually stop for potty breaks on our hikes (and I pee and poop on EVERYTHING when we hike) but when she can't hold it I always go in with her. Sometimes I like to peek under the stall wall if someone is next to us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Shawnee, you remines me how good dis hike wuz when we did it afore. So good dat hubs and I gonna do it again dis Sunnyday. (Hopes it WILL be sunny, but prolly not. :( ) Tanks fur dah tour. Stay warm & comfy.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  20. THat looks a bootiful day for hikin Shawnee but i would not like to be libbin in them huts in the cold wevver wivout the walls and roofs. It was very clever of you to be stayin out of the creeks too. Appy oliday for you

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow... you guys definitely got your exercise in! 10.25 miles is more than I've hiked.. well.. ever. But no worries, I'm glad you posted so many pictures because it felt like I was right there along with you guys! Keep up the exercise and keep living life to the fullest!

    LizAnn

    All4UrPet Representative

    http://all4urpet.com/



    Check out the App store for Android and iPhone to download our mobile application! Simply search All4UrPet.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is SO cold, how does your mom freeze to death while you guys are hiking? (You need the exercise since you are a big doggie!) I like your orange jacket though! :-D

    Gracie Lu, the Shih Tzu

    ReplyDelete
  23. We like all your pictures but really like the one you like!! Another great hike and and you make an awesome tour guide. We learn a lot from you. Would be nice to be with you and see all you see.
    like you orange jacket! We forget - is that a special collar you wear???
    wags
    ernie,sasha,chica,lucas

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very educational hike, Shawnee! Those cabins are cute. Guess those would be considered "rustic", right? Pretty waterfall. Too bad it was too cold to get your furs wet. But we have to say you are looking extra fabulous in these pics. Must be all that chiropractic care you're getting!

    The Road Dogs

    ReplyDelete

Sorry fur hasing to turn on the word verification thingy but I has been getting spammed big time here lately.