Sunday, June 27, 2010

Stone Mountain State Park, Roaring Gap, NC


We woz only about 50 miles from North Crayolina so on Fursday, Joon 24 we headed on down to Stone Mountain State Park. On the way we seened the most beeootiful sunrise over the Furginia farm mountains:


In the Stone Mountain State Park there be warning signs all over wot says to stay on the trail or you could be maded ded!

The rawks is smooth and slickery so if'n you wander off to a steep part you slide rite off the mountain! You has to keep you paws on the orange circles on the rawks thusly:


So we hiked on up the trail...


And reached the summit of Stone Mountain:


Here I is atop Stone Mountain and I gibs a woofout to my furrends The Thundering Herd wot lives over yonder in North Crayolina. (I didded it telepathically coz mom sayed I should not woof out loud.)



There be two mans up at the summit wot lives in the area. They hike to the summit to has they breakfast there afore going back home to does their chores. They woz rilly nice and tolded us it woz a hazy day and that the views be much better on a clear day. The one man taked me and mom's pikshur, too.


And that man does not knows it, but turns out I capshured him on the Shawnee Cam, BOL! I hope it be OK to put the pikshur on the innerwebs wifout asking pawmission but it not be showing hims face so I think that be OK.


This be the litters we collected at the summit. Grrrrr.

The man tolded us the park peeples is always up there cleaning up litter but it keeps coming back. Mom tolded him the park peeples should not has to clean up litters, bad peeples need to stop making litters! If'n you can carry it in full, you can carry it out empty. Does not be a lazy bum and leave you icky garbage ahind to make beeootiful places ugly.

Then we hiked down off the summit:


They even has a hand rail if'n you think you needs it but mom did not.


There woz also lots of steps to help you down. Some of you mite knows I is skeered of steps but that is going up. Going down I bees OK.


Down at the bottom of Stone Mountain we metted an elderly gentleman. I think he sayed he be 78 years old. He hikes all the times. We would run into him 2 more times while hiking and the last time we all satted on a bench and had a break togedder. He woz such a nice man wot tolded us stories from the olden days when he woz a yungun on a farm. I capshured him on the Shawnee Cam too but it be OK coz we did ask him if'n we could take hims pikshur wif me.


The Shawnee Cam version:


So then we commed to the Hutchinson Homestead wot is where a fambly maded they farm in 1850.



This be the son of the peeples wot builded the howse wif hims wife on the front porch:


And here I be 60 years later on they same front porch!


Oh, here do be the hooman litter box wot used to be outside in the olden days. Welcome to my werld.


This is the meadow for the homestead and you can see Stone Mountain rite there wot we woz atop of afore. See how steep and smooth the rawk is? No wonner they say to stay on the orange dots where it be safe! Udderwise we slide down in the meadow like SPLAT!


So then we wented on the Black Jack Ridge Trail where there woz a view:


And on to Wolf Rock wot is a smaller vershun of Stone Mountain and it is rilly out of the way where not many peeples go so we had the whole place to ourselves and taked a rilly long break there.

Mom spreaded out the little blankie wot she carries in her backpack for our breaks and I claimed most of it afore mom had a chance to sit down, BOL!



There woz one lonely little tree wot woz growing out of a rawk. Mom taked lots of pikshurs of it, one wif me unner the tree, but I gotted a shot of it wif the Shawnee Cam, too! (And I must add it is one of my better shots!)


Here is the pic mom taked of me unner the little lonely tree:


I just realized efurryone mite not knows wot the Shawnee Cam is if'n you has not been following my bloggie for a while. Peeples see me wif the Shawnee Cam on when I is hiking and they always ask mom wot I has on my collah. Click here to see wot it is if'n you does not knows.

So then we commed down off of that mountain and headed back to our car. But, there woz one more thing we had to do. We woz down at the bottom of the mountain and our car woz up at the top of anudder mountain. The only way up woz on TWO HUNNERD STEPS along the waterfalls! YIKES!


This be the waterfalls coming down on the smooth rawk:

If'n you rememmer when I had to go up steps by waterfalls at a diffrent hike, it woz kwite a disaster coz I was skeered and did not want to gib my cooperashuns. Mom had to drag all sebenty pounds of me up the steep steps. But I shocked mom this time. I dunno wot commed over me but here I is like going up steps be the most natural thing in the werld:


Mom woz very prowd that I was such a trooper on the steps. They woz really nice, wide, sturdy steps so they woz not skeery at all.

And here be the rest of my Shawnee Cam shots:







That last one be a Shawnee Cam shot of a bench wot we satted on talking to our elderly furrend wot we metted while hiking.

So that be our adventure in North Crayolina. It woz my furst time in that state and it be kwite pawsome!

4 comments:

  1. We heard your woo and wooed back. Great having you in our state and wooing at you. Come on down a little further next time.

    And we agree with you about litter. We carry trash bags sometimes and just pick up litter as we go. The rangers have way too many other things to deal with than people who can't carry out their own trash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great hike! We are so proud of your stair climbing and it was nice meeting other people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't look like you're afraid of stairs at all anymore! That's awesome, Shawnee. And you did that after you had an ouchy leg, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sunrise photo--so pretty!

    It's such a pretty view from top of the mountain. We also love the picture of you and your mom. It looks even better when you click on it to biggify it.

    The elderly gentleman who hikes all the time seems like such a nice man. I bet he really enjoyed meeting you and your mom.

    The Hutchinson Homestead is so pretty. I love how you're on the same porch as in the old photo!

    Yes the side of that looks so slippery. Yikes!

    I'm so proud of you for doing up those steps like a champ. It looked like you kind of psyched yourself up by going in a circle first.

    ReplyDelete