Saturday, May 26, 2012

Hot and Humid Hiking

Yes, furrends, here I is hiking back at home and it was hawt, humid and buggy - I had to put the bitey on bugs big time!  It was not this hawt and humid in Furginia.  But we still had lots of adventures on the Appalachian Trail in Noo York.
Foggy, hawt and humid on the Appalachian Trail in Noo York
Lots of mountain laurel was blooming in Noo York, just like in Furginia.
This be Cat Rocks and I think they call it that coz mom had to climb up on all fours but she did not look at all stealthy like a kitteh.  And I do not think kittehs huff and puff when they climb up on stuffs.
This be how we had to climb down from Cat Rocks and I gibbed mom a hard time ofur it coz I do not like to climb straight down walls.  But once I got ofur getting freaked out about it and went the way mom was telling me to, it was a piece of kibble.  I guess sometimes mom do know best.  Not always.
Common mom, stop taking pictures of mountain laurel.  We has hiking to do!
Ahhhh, I gets to cool my furs off at long last.
That loverly pool fur cooling of my furs was made pawsible by Fitzgerald Falls.
Here we is at the trail register - it be a book in that blue box up on the tree.  You write stuff in it.  Mom wrote a note to the thru-hikers we met in Furginia fur when they pass by here so they can see that mom and me, Shawnee the Shepherd, sayed HEY!
Check it out - somebuddy left noms on the trail.  I betcha the bears get it tonight.  We still had too far to hike to carry something big like that out so we left it.  Boo.  But mom say she had some better noms in mind fur me fur after the hike.  Well then, let's get going!
Mom sure do climb these mountains slow in the hawt humids.  I has to lay and wait fur her to catch up.
So then we met this Appalachian Trail thru hiker and his trail name be "Goldbond".  Mom furgot to ask where he be from.  They was too bizzy saying yak, yak yak bout other stuffs.
Then "Lakeland Nidhatak" commed along and "Gold Bond" told us he be hiking the Eastern Continental Trail.  That be 5,400 miles from Key West, FL to Belle Isle, Newfoundland with the Appalachian Trail in the middle!  Wowser!  He had been hiking fur 200 days alreddy and it do take a year to hike the whole way.  My hero!
Finally some seeniks but it still be too hazy to see them all.
Don't it look like I is going to walk off this big rawk right off the mountain?  No worries, I climbed down safely on the other side.  It was not as skeery as those Cat Rocks.
My new furrend Diesel.  I met him on the hiking trail.  He was hiking too.
Then I climbed some skeery steps up to this lookout...
... fur some more hazy seeniks.
We picked up some litter along the way (GRRRRRR) but I scored myself a new bandaner in no-huntin-me orange to match my magical collah!  Mom is going to wash it fur me but I think it be fine the way it is.  Mom say no, it must be washed.  Sigh.
When we got back to the parking lot, the stand we seened in the morning was open and mom sayed "Shawnee, would you like to go have a snack?"  OMD, fur real?!?!?!?!
"May I has a tube steak, pawlese, hold the toppings (BLECH!)"
Fur those of you who is new to Blogville, allow me to explain the pawlitical correctness of this.  On your left you has a hot dog or wiener dog, of which we has many in Blogville, and on the right you has a tube steak.  This is not to be confuzzled or interchanged.  That be BAD!
Settling down in the hikemobile to has my snack.  (And I get it ALL coz mom be a vegebullatarian and she don't do tube steaks - yay!)
Nom, nom, nom, nom, nom...  Sorry to nom in front of you all but rilly, this is nommy!
Hasing an ice cold water chaser.  Ahhhh.

18 comments:

  1. What a great way to finish a hike. I can't believe that guy is hiking 5400 miles!!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shawnee!!!

    A most wunderful hikin' day fur sure! You get to meets all kinds of interestin' peeples and doggies wherever you and your sweet momma go. :)

    Woofs and Licks,
    Maggie Mae and Max

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, a great hike, but oh the humidity. My Vickie says she don't do well in high humidity.

    But she sure do like the looks of those two long distance hikers, especially Lakeland Nidhatak,

    but don't pass that along. she would be in trouble at home ifn some foks knew she was checkin out the men you meet.

    Hope the humidity gives you a break my friend.

    bert

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so glad the fogs burned off because you sure got some awesome photos. They are so sharp and clear - your Mom does a great job.

    It has been very hot and humid here too, Shawnee. Summer is hitting fast and hard.

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shawnee!

    I know it's been quite a while. I wanted to stop by and say hi. I'm glad to see you're doing well and you and your mom are still taking wonderful hikes. I think of you; I just don't get a chance to visit often thanks to Mama. I'm so glad you got a tube steak!

    Purrs,
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  6. When did we move to The Jungle???

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra and Khousin Merdie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nommers! Tube Steak!!!
    Shawnee those thru hikers are somethin. Hikin for a YEAR?!? Sounds pretty cool :)

    Waggin at ya,
    Roo

    ReplyDelete
  8. GruffHello there Shawnee - oh you do look so smart, cool and are obviously very fashion conscious too! even in that humidity! Brilliant! - Really loved your pictures, and your new friends you made - and the Sausage sandwich explanation - that cleared up a few things for me! My Parent2Legs love walking too but have never been anywhere as warm! - Great to see you out and about and enjoying yourself my friend - take care, Barnie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. M just collapsed on the floor when she read how far that guy is hiking. YIKES! What a great hike again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know Shawnee i think we two would get on very well!
    Enid x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your explanation about the hot dog and tube steak - BOL :)
    Stewey

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMD! Tube steak cooked JUST for you?! You are SO lucky!!!

    That's really super cool that you could leave a message in the register thing for those through-hikers you met in Virginia. I bet they'll love hearing from you again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW Shawnee that was one amazing adventure! I'm sorry it was so hot, humid and all buggy!
    That Appalachian Trail looks wonderful, some really beautiful photos of views, flowers and YOU! I love the photo captioned "Common mom, stop taking pictures of mountain laurel. We has hiking to do!" thats such a good photo of you! Your such a pretty girl Shawnee!
    I laughed sooo much at your description of your Mom climing up Cat Rocks, when you said that she did not look at all stealthy like a kitteh! Hee,Hee! I'm glad you got to cool off in the water and how fun to meet new people!
    The best for me was the end of the hike when you got a "tube steak" Yummers! You sure do look like you are enjoying that!!!
    Love, Licks, Hugs and Tummy Rubs from your Furiend Frank xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great place for a hike :)

    Stop on by for a visit
    Kari
    http://dogisgodinreverse.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great end to a great hike!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you had such a great hike! I hope we can get back on the trails soon!

    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  17. I simpaffize wiv your wevver issues Shawnee. We haz had it HOT HOT HOT here for a few days. I see your hike was as good as ever despite the humids.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry fur hasing to turn on the word verification thingy but I has been getting spammed big time here lately.